Amidst the confusion of the times, the conflicts of conscience, and the turmoil of daily living, an abiding faith becomes an anchor to our lives.
Thomas S Monson

7.9.09

identifying the adversary

where/who/what is the adversary?
i'm not quite sure on the proper definition, but to me it is the following:

-someone/something that causes you to (satan)
take things for granted
lose sight of what you're living for & who you're living for
fall away from the gospel
break promises/covenants
disobey commandments

so, how do you know that its the adversary distracting you from living a righteous life?
for me, it takes only two things. i regress back to who i was, or i question whether or not what i'm doing is right. when i look at my life, more specifically these past 7 years, i realize how much i've grown and progressed. but when i surround myself with people/things that distract me from living the gospel i have to remind myself that i'm not who i was. i can't go from being righteous to being who i was, its not healthy, and almost impossible. if i have to question something to determine its true intent, then i know i've done something wrong. its like, for example (i assume, i've never done such thing, but i've seen it happen..) when you're married to someone but you start having an affair, whether its physical or emotional doesn't matter, but you walk away and say well "its not like i'm doing anything wrong, am i?" that to me, is a sign that i'm not doing something right. we shouldn't allow ourselves to be put in those situations that cause us to lose faith or question ourselves. however, we cannot fully avoid these situations, because it is the adversary that sees us when we are weak, and he tries to sneak up. the scriptures say when i am weak, that's when His strength really shines. we can't know what its like to be strong, until we experience being weak. by identifying the adversary, you can pray about the circumstances, you can avoid the situation, you can strengthen yourself simply by acknowledging it and rising above it.

lyrics to a song i like:
"Well the thing I find most amazing
In amazing grace
Is the chance to give it out
Maybe that's what love is all about

I wish you could see me now
I wish I could show you how
I'm not who I was" - Brandon Heath

No comments:

Post a Comment