Amidst the confusion of the times, the conflicts of conscience, and the turmoil of daily living, an abiding faith becomes an anchor to our lives.
Thomas S Monson

5.11.09

nobody said it was easy.

Nobody said it was easy
No one ever said it would be so hard.


Moral discipline is the consistent exercise of agency to choose the right because it is right, even when it is hard.

Before my baptism, a very dear person told me that being a member of the church wouldn't be easy, I didn't doubt it, but I didn't dwell on it. 3 months after joining the church, it's slowly but surely starting to become harder. Finding time to read scriptures, sincerely pray, and share the gospel is surprisingly hard. I'm struggling with some things, such as keeping the commandments, no, I haven't done anything horribly wrong, but I'm not where I wanna be. To simplify, I got distracted by life. It happens, I suppose. Heavenly Father didn't say it was going to be easy, in fact, the whole plan was laid out before us. I know that I have the strength to rise above the adversary, and I know that today was a fresh start. Tomorrow will be better, and so forth. I love being a Latter-day Saint, it isn't easy, and thats the thrill of it. It isn't easy because, if it were, how would my testimony grow? My fav talk from General Conference was "Moral Discipline" by Elder Christofferson, here are some selected quotes:
"While we cannot control what others may or may not do, the Latter-day Saints can certainly stand with those who demonstrate virtue in their own lives and inculcate virtue in the rising
generation."
"“Yea, they were men of truth and soberness, for they had been taught to keep the commandments of God and to walk uprightly before him” (Alma 53:20–21)."
There are times when its so much easier to be disobedient, but what good does that do? It causes problems in the long run, and in many ways, disables us. Heavenly Father promises us so many blessings, as a reward for being obedient. Eternal life, inheriting the kingdoms of glory, returning to dwell in his presence, strength (run and not be weary) eternal families, and so forth. Think about it, heres a simplified, somewhat exaggerated, situation in which the gospel can strengthen you to rise above the carnal state of mind:
No ones looking and you're running late, the intersection you're stopped at is completely empty. You can either run the light, or run even later to your destination, by waiting for the light to change. Heavenly Father gaves us laws as guidelines to live a happy, secure life. When no one's looking, are you choosing the right? I've decided that I'll sit at that light, waiting, letting time pass away, because I'm doing what the Lord wants me to do. Not a very good example, I know.


choose the right, better to live in the Lords sight, and struggle now, then to never have the opportunity to return to Him.

idk.

lovethegospel
livethegospel

1 comment:

  1. For me, sincerely praying is one of the hardest things. I tell myself I NEED to pray, because I get lost in the world, but I find that I just say words. Prayer will never be about just talking, it's feeling the Lord by your side, and confiding in him.

    ReplyDelete