Amidst the confusion of the times, the conflicts of conscience, and the turmoil of daily living, an abiding faith becomes an anchor to our lives.
Thomas S Monson

21.8.09

Articles of Faith

Like many other denominations, Latter-day Saint Christians have a creed, or a set of basic beliefs. Over the next few blogs, I will be writing my thoughts on each one. Lets start with number one:
"We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost."
This, in my opinion, is first, because it is an essential gateway to the rest of the beliefs. "We believe in God.." Many people that I have met, that are members of other church's believe the LDS do not believe in the same God, however, it is! Our God is the same God! We know it to be true, that God, our eternal father, has a body. "
Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the father and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? " (John 14:9) The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us. (D&C 130:22) A key point for me, of which I have realized throughout my journey of conversion, is that everything that I believe to be true, as an LDS, is backed up but many verses in the Holy Bible. In Genesis, it reads: "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them." (Genesis 1:27)
Continuing on "and in His Son, Jesus Christ," this too is an important part of our religion, and often overlooked by non-members. Many people believe that LDS do not believe in Jesus Christ, if this were true, would we be named "The Church of Jesus Christ Latter-day Saints?" it would make no sense to have His name in our name if it weren't a belief! haha! I love that. There are specific verses in the Bible that state the the true church will bear His name. I often see names that say Christ, but never Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is the Son of Heavenly Father, "
In the sixth month, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee, to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. The virgin's name was Mary. The angel went to her and said, "Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you."Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. But the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end."(Luke 1:26-33)
Jesus loves Heavenly Father and obeys him, just as we should. Christians are to be Christ-like, and by doing so, obey Heavenly Father. Moving on, "and in the Holy Ghost," "And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you" (John 14:16-17)


“I was probably about eight years of age, or younger, when I was taken by my father to a farm some distance away. While he worked I tried to busy myself with things that a young boy would. The day was hot and dusty and I played about until I was tired. Over the fence there was a broken-down shed that looked very interesting to me. In my mind I thought of this broken-down shed as a castle that I would like to explore, so I went to the fence and started to climb through to go over to that shed. There came a voice to me that said this very significant thing, ‘Harold, don’t go over there.’ I looked about to see who was speaking my name. My father was way up at the other end of the field. He could not see what I was doing. There was no speaker in sight. Then I realized that someone that I could not see was warning me not to go over there. What was over there, I shall never know, but I learned early that there are those beyond our sight that could talk to us” (in Conference Report, Mexico City Mexico Area Conference 1972, pp. 48–49) Harold B Lee, who became the 11th president of the church.

i testify that this church is true, and i love being in the truth. i believe all of these things, and i know that by obeying Heavenly Father, i will live a righteous life and someday return to Him in Heaven.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment